Monday, November 29, 2010

"Yo México"

Today I wanna talk to you about something that I recently saw and that still has me a bit impressed; I'm referring to the Media/Light Show called "Yo México", shown at the Zócalo Square of Mexico City for a few days. I'd heard about it and thought it'd be nice to go but didn't actually made a plan to, up until my friend Jimena said we should go and i agreed. The day we went was just perfect because it wasn't too crowded, in fact we had our own little square and some space around us, nobody was like all over us or pushing or any of those things you usually avoid going to the Zócalo for, and the night was good in general, good weather and, of course, good company.

All I knew about this was that it was a "light show", honestly when I got there I didn't know how long it lasted, what was gonna happen and what was it all about, so I had no expectations of any kind...except for having a good time hanging with Jimena in Downtown.

Turns out the show tells the History of Mexico all the way back from the Pre-Hispanic times to the present--where we're supposed to be...ok, ok...where we ARE an Independent Nation ruled by Progress (?), but i won't go into that now, instead I'm just gonna say the whole show was absolutely brilliant, something amazing really. I mean, yeah, it does have the usual "boring bit" and some parts of the history are handled sort of in a shallow way and some important things are not mentioned, BUT, all in all it was something I think all Mexicans would wanna see, but only the lucky DFeños got to see from first hand.

The whole playing with the lights, the sounds, the music, the fireworks, the narration, the fire, the dancers, the performers...all of that coming together put up a good show, something absolutely worth of seeing, and on top of it all, it was obviously for free (as all the shows at the Zócalo). It is now over as, like i mentioned before, it only lasted for a few days, so I'm glad I got to see it and if you did too, I'm sure you agree with me. If you were too busy/lazy/undecided and didn't get a chance to see it, don't worry coz there are a few videos online, but I consider the one I'm posting to be the best (or one of them), also, I took some pics, with my point&shoot though as I was too lazy to carry my DSRL, still, you'll get an idea of the whole thing and what you missed. All I can say is I hope they keep on putting up shows like that (that are a bit educational) in the Zócalo, instead of stupid things such as an Ice Rink and stuff like that.


Show "Yo México" - Zócalo, Ciudad de México












No comments:

Post a Comment